Sunday, August 20, 2017

To Speak, Or Not To Speak? I Just Don’t Know


Maybe the issue for me is what to speak, how to speak, when and where.  So, for today, while I think further on this issue, here are a few of the things that stand out for me on the subject of “to speak, or not”:

I believe:
  • In conscious action and conscious inaction. This means, for me, that like my dear collaborator, Quaker Sue, I need to find my grounding before I speak out and take a stand on things
  • Also, like Sue, I am an introvert. So I may take longer to consider, in silence, what I want to speak before I take action;
  • That the power of one might be simply to not act, unless it’s the right action;
  • That it is even okay for me to act outrageous, if it suits me. Or that I might express myself in a vague or an obtuse way; much like the Sybils of ancient lore, known to be oracles. Or, like Coyote, the great trickster, who might even end up tricking himself.
Then, there is the issue of bashing people.

I like the AA principle of paying attention to principles rather than personalities. The kind of stuff I have listed below takes us into the realm of finger pointing, in my opinion.

But it is only opinion. Certainly not the gospel!

 While there might be some "principles" and even good intentions, people get too much into "blaming the actor" rather than actions 

This morning I found the proliferation of people bashing, at the cost of respecting and honoring the dignity of others, a bit over the top; the arrogance and one-sidedness of some that I read.  

Here are a few things that set me thinking a lot about the issue of speaking or not, leaving me to accept that, for today, at least, I just don’t know.

For example

On the subject of Steve Mnuchin

Ok, so his Yale classmates want him to resign. 

Is that okay for them to voice that opinion? I think, yes!

But he thinks not to take up their admonition.

Is somebody in the right here, or the wrong? I think not!

What I think: Everybody’s welcome to their opinion. Nobody has to be judged as right or wrong, just different views. Let it be! Everything doesn’t have to be a fight these days!

On the subject of Ivanka Trump’s “moral failing” regarding Charlottesville and Trump

What I think: Come on, folks. I surely wouldn’t join in with a public bashing of my dad. If I didn’t agree with him, I might say so. But not on twitter, you can be certain!

On the issue of Tina Fey and her cake eating suggestion/demonstration

What I think: I think Tina Fey is a trickster, like Coyote. Google offers these words on the trickster –
“Whatever the medicine is, good or bad, you can be sure it will make you laugh, maybe even painfully.
You can also be sure that Coyote will teach you a lesson about yourself.
Coyote has many magical powers, but they do not always work in his favor.”
Enough said! Different strokes for different folks. And, “for everything there is a season.”

For me leaning in, dialogue vs debate, blogs, storytelling, writing memoir, tranquility and centeredness are factors in my ways and means for speaking.

But that's me! The one time I did things in a way that, now, I think was rather thoughtless and out of character, I didn't like what came of it one bit. In fact, I am still trying to clean out the fall out!

Hearing and being heard make a difference to me, but with depth and substance.

Like with so many other human issues, it takes a village” of viewpoints, types of people, activities; cake baking and eating, tending babies, moms and dads and kids, students and teachers, people doing repair work, doctors, lawyers, activists, priests and rabbis to help us all get where we are going.

Find your way, Be sure I will be seeking mine, too, as we go along in this brave new world of ours. 

P.S. I found this piece on NBC today, Seven Ways To Be A  Better Activist.

 You might find it helpful as you go along sorting out your way to make a difference in these trying times.  Good luck, whatever you do! 

Just make it something you can be proud of, for always!

No comments:

Post a Comment