Saturday, August 12, 2023

History repeats itself

Under construction

I saw it happening before my eyes and was incredulous -- and -- apparently alone in thinking it mattered, or mattered more than as fleeting news of the day.

25 years ago today I was about to lose my eyesight -- go blind. 3 weeks from now -- 25 years ago -- I would go blind. My blindness times would last almost eight years.

I recall Lisa Lefferts, our board chair, and a new board member we had just taken on -- Jan, having a meeting soon after.

They loved and adored me but I was alone among them - seeing what they did not. I was their fearless leader. Their guide but alone inside myself as leaders generally are. So I kept the depth of my concern, my fears for our country, my fear and despair to myself except for the surface of it all.

.Bill Clinton, President of the United States, was in the midst of lying about Monica Lewinsky and I was beside myself with upset for our country. 

Jan and I would soon make a trip into D.C. where I would go -- with Jan -- down to the mall to interview passesby about their opinions about our president lying to American constituents. Me still finishing up my third book for Random House, Exploring Your Dark Side: The Adventure Of A LifetimeI, interviewed numerous people that day.

Bottom line: They didn't care!

Clinton lied. It was no matter to them.

I cared deeply. They not a whit.

Clinton continued to lie. I was incredulous.

And nobody cared it seemed.

Could it be I was all alone in what I saw that I believed really mattered?

Did I see in the lying of our president something they did not?

For me -- it was Nixon all over again. Why didn't they care?

I was incredulous.

I was alone.

I went blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment