Sunday, June 9, 2013

Our Recovery From Blindness, Emotionally and Spiritually


It is a rare and courageous person who will venture to ask me what it was like for me to be blind. It is a person who is wise, emotionally and spiritually, as well as courageous, who will understand when I speak to them about my experience.
And, it is a truly hardy individual who, along with being courageous and wise, will understand me, if and when I have the patience and am willing to risk telling how very much more difficult it was for me to go through the process of recovering from being blind then was the actual term of my physical blindness (1998 – 2003).
What did I see
when I was blind?

If you are willing and able to SEE through my eyes, you will become aware that I needed to learn to be able to see, again, in a very altered reality, not only physically but emotionally and spiritually with new eyes.
Because I was physically blind at the time of “9/11” this was particularly challenging.

Soon I am going to be able, due to changes in me and you and the world around us, to talk to you more about this.

But not quite yet am I able to tell you what I saw when I was blind and how that changed how I see all of us; you, me and this brave new world we live in. Not quite yet.
Allow me, for now, to return to the door-opening dialogue I am having with you, here, on the subject of blindness recovery; the natural, organically unfolding one we will embark upon next, if you will be courageous and wise, patient and sensitive.

This one is about the three years it took me (2003 – 2006) to start learning how to function, even superficially, in a way that would appear to be “normal” in mainstream life in the U.S.A., beginning in 2003, in post“911” America.
Going blind took me by surprise; it was shocking, indeed. Being blind was a time-out that “grew” me spiritually. Recovering from being blind, however, was terrifying; frightening and hard.

You, the people, were almost the hardest of all for me, as I haltingly stumbled to learn your ways and find a place in your world within which to fit; to have a mainstream identity, once more. My old ways, like the clothes I had once worn when last I was a part of you, were outdated. Rip Van Winkle and I have had a lot in common, I believe.
Think of it this way:  You (and all the rest of us) are somewhat blind, spiritually and emotionally.

So -- what is/was it like for you to lose your sight, spiritually and emotionally, if not physically, to the world around you?
What is it like (or has it been like) for you to manage your life with limited vision?

And, what is it like for you, now, when you make every effort to see truth and clarity for real, again?
If you know what I mean, you may, then, begin to understand my blindness and the terrifying challenge recovery from blindness has been for me.  

You and I have been seasoned and cooked, speaking truth to power.

No comments:

Post a Comment