Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Know When I Know


I know when I know. Even when I don’t know what I am knowing. Then, mostly, I need to wait for what I know I am knowing to be revealed. So what I knew – first off – as I sat by my/our fire circle that snowy day a few weeks back was that the fire in my soul was flaming.

It was firing up inside of me – almost – more than it had since the day I lost my eyesight. It was as if a life was bursting forth from the deepest part of my soul. It felt new and fresh as if seeing the light of day for the very first time. Yet, it was certainly rooted in an ancient part of me.

I knew that that fire was springing out of the calling of my soul to do my small part to somehow, at least, try to put an end to the mediocrity with which we are presently living. The Arizona shooting in January coupled with the voices of commentary from all parts of the country were speaking out, loud and clear; there must be an end to the political bashing! And, the general, mean-spirited, divisiveness running through our day-to-day lives.

These voices carried a strong message to me, as the fire was called up from my depths. Perhaps, there was one small thing, at least, that I could contribute. And, since there was one, at least -- offer it I must. So, I threw my cap into the ring, sharing my sense of that fire in me with whomever would listen, respectfully. The mediocrity of our society – and – worse its potential for, not only subtle violence, but mortal violence was being, at last, verbally shouted down.

Clearly, the subtle and not so subtle violence was making, not only me, a bit crazy, but, maybe, even the silent majority was now no longer willing to be silent. And, people would now be willing to act! Do something rather than nothing! Perhaps in the light of tragedy, we had – as a society – been brought to the right conditions. And, people would no longer sit still for that which had long grown out of bounds.

For days after that day by the fire, I felt a surge of passion and creativity that became an abiding hunger. Far greater than simple nostalgia. For the days before I lost my eyesight. When a certain skillfulness in me had routinely been able to lead those who chose to be my students into an experience of awe.

I HUNGERED FOR that AWE; a return to that place of community cohesiveness, I had co-created awe, again and again, with others for almost TWENTY-FIVE years before I lost my eyesight (but never my vision,) Through the old New Horizons Truth Or Dare Game -- there had been a regular, community coming together where awe was the expected and achieved outcome.

(In monthly Game retreat week-ends and weekly Game support groups.)

As passion, creativity and a yearning for something old that could be remodeled into something new and beautiful carried me forth, I began to envision that what had been might just be viable now -- beyond what had been before.

Now I know that I want to go back to that old New Horizons Truth Or Dare Game (formerly the Discount Derby) and the strong sense of healthy community it fostered. I miss that old part of me. The old folks with whom I shared this awe.

I want it back, now! In a new way for the evolved me – and – the new conditions of our present circumstances; massive polarization throughout our country while at the same time we try to fight terrorism from outside forces. And, because I am blessed with a wonderful, supportive community; my own, personal small “zone of peace,” my hunger is now being respectfully acknowledged – and – addressed.

Thus I sit at my desk, now, up here in the mountains, with only a single, annoying stink bug on my window (one is good -- we are infested by them) obstructing (and then only a little) my view of AWE – A new game is now on my drawing board, out of the old New Horizons Truth or Dare Game. Maybe we’ll call it --

The Climbing To Awe GAME:
an interactive game of empowerment and transformation

Your comments – and – co-creation are invited. Stay tuned in for the progess.

No comments:

Post a Comment